Thursday, November 6, 2008

Nutrition Counseling-Outpatient Rotation

This week I am doing out-patient...which i love so far!
Tuesday I sat in on nutrition counseling with an RD who is also Certified Diabetes Educator. She had a type 1 diabetic patient. I just listened to the counseling session, which lasted for 1.5 hours. I really enjoyed it. At night I went to her diabetes education session. there was a podiatrist who talked about the effects of diabetes on your feet and then the RD spoke about how to manage your diabetes. There is a useful guide from the American Diabetes Association on exchange lists.
The next day i went to sit in on nutrition counseling with another preceptor who counseled a recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic. I was able to see different counseling techniques. There were lots of no-shows and cancellations on both days so i only got to see one patient each day.
And TODAY i just "educated" (counseled) a patient on my own! it was a little scary but it was kind of fun. I used handouts provided by my preceptor, very helpful. the patient was knowledgeable about nutrition and health conscious so i didnt have too much to say...but it went okay. I was able to make some recommendations- both nutritional and exercise.
I finally feel like im in the dietetic internship!

No comments: